Thursday, January 17, 2008

Following My Maker, the Brew Meister

In following in the footsteps of Jesus, I have picked up a new hobby. Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine, and not just wine, but the best wine of the week long party. And now we know that the wine back then did in fact contain alcohol, which Jesus did partake in.

One thing that I have been wanting to do for a long time is brew my own beer. Some of the reasons include, curiosity, I've always been a little scientist, and most importantly, I love to make things that I can share with others and see them enjoy something that I have made from my own hands.
Well, since my wife loves me, she got me a beer making kit for Christmas. Needless to say on Christmas night I was brewing like a mad man. It was a fun process! It was definitely a harder process then I thought (but Harder is my last name so it's just my life story). I also learned a whole bunch of new stuff, which is also something I love to do. I love to learn new stuff.
One argument that I hear a lot of for brewing your own beer is that you save a lot of money. This mindset is not my own by a long shot. Even though I would save money if I bought a lot of beer, I don't buy that much beer so it doesn't come into play like a majority of the home brewers. Here are some pictures


This is me brewing the beer, you start with 2.5 Gallons of water and make a wort (pronounced wert). Then you boil the crud out of it for 1 hour stirring it a lot so it doesn't cake to the bottom and then mix it with another 2.5 gallons of water and you let it sit for at least 7 days. Then you bottle it for another 7 days. (really short version)


This is after spending another 2 hours bottling it, 7 more days and then you can put it in the fridge. It came out really good...I was surprised. :)

12 comments:

scoeyd said...

How bout a bless yer pastor offering? Of the 1st fruits of the batch?

laura said...

just wanted you to know i was here skimming your blogs. i always like to know when people are spying on me. i think you are worthy of a subscription. :)

Murdoc said...

2nd fruits?

Señor H said...

Laura-ever since your Jones blog (which I still haven't read all the comments yet but I think you watched Endgames, may I suggest Road to Tyrany next) yours has been on my subscription list.

Sco and Doc-I promised Jami that I wouldn't drink another one of my beers until I can share one with her...which better be soon! After that, I'll have to bring some up for a testing. So far everyone seems to enjoy it a lot, but I'm not sure they're just blowin' smoke. One person told me it was the best they've ever had which my first assumption would be, "have you ever had beer before?"

laura said...

H- it was actually Marshall Law 9/11: The rise of a police state. We found a bunch online, so we will definitely add that one to our list. thanks for reading...beware there will be girly stuff from time to time.

digapigmy said...

dude, the beer glass and now brewing. not only am i glad that you are beginning to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies, i also may have to stop looking at your blog at school . . .

Señor H said...

Laura-I'm not scared of the girly stuff. My brain for some reason knows ahead of time if its a girly blog, I call it my Fem Sense.

Diga-Don't censor me!

Earl W. Nash said...

Mr H, you're a frickin' stud....I want to be like you :) I'd even say "I love you man," but I know you'd respond with "You're not gettin' my beer Shawn." Okay, you got me. I would like to try some though...congrats on the new baby girl

Chemane said...

I was here & I love beer.
Anytime you'd like a smoke-free opinion I'd be happy to oblige.

laura said...

hey, congrats on the baby from us :)

frad-ster said...

dude, teach me :)

but first, share ye brew! LOL

nicolekelleher said...

Dave,

Your beer was so yummmy! I loved it keep up the good work...I am glad you brought some over to the Shower...