Thursday, April 03, 2008

Was there any doubt?



Quite frankly, I was surprised that Velvet Revolver lasted as long as it did. So now we get to watch two highly talented bands start (or re-start) fresh.

With Scott Weiland and STP: After Purple, I lost interest. It seemed like it depended on which drugs Weiland was on, determined how much I liked it. I own Tiny Music...and I don't like it at all (so if you want it, ask, it's yours). Correct me if I'm wrong, this was the first time that STP had to cope with Weiland going to rehab. Which doesn't mean he kicked his addiction, he may have just switched drugs. Either way, it should be interesting to hear what they produce.

With Velvet Revolver and Slash: I don't know who they would hire for a front man. Has anyone heard who they may be looking at. I know it was a long and rugged road to end at Weiland, and it sounds like they had to 'settle' with who they ended up with. So this might be interesting. How about Dave Cook from American Idol...he's rock as all get out, Paula says so! I'm kidding. Please don't slash my tires.

I can't wait to hear what is produced. I'm always a fan of hearing something completely new and hoping some old slips through.

5 comments:

David said...

Drugs (only heroin, really) usually make for at least one awesome album.

Weiland, by his own admission, started heavily using during the recording of "Purple," which is a great album. "Tiny Music ...," I get why you wouldn't like it, but I don't hate it. It doesn't sound anything like what they had done before ... for better or worse

The thing is, no matter what kind of material STP or what's left of Velvet Revolver put out, it's not going to sound new or interesting. There will probably be one or two decent songs, but I'd rather just listen to GNR or old STP.

As for who is available to sing, if Scott Stapp is sober and not abusing his wife, maybe he'd be interested. (Whoo hoo, Scott Stapp reference!)

scoeyd said...

I feel for the Weiland - yes I know he's a rockstar, & I know that he's self-destructing & noone is holding him down to give him his smack, but where this ends isn't pretty...

as though the sex, drugs & wanton debauchery are somehow a desired lifestyle lived vicariously by the fanatics that follow the band religiously.

digapigmy said...

velvet revolver wasn't especially good. i watched a concert and the best songs they played were gnr and stp tunes. as much as it pains me to say this (especially about slash), i'm pretty sure all parties involved are at least 10 years past any sort of relevance, closer to 20 in some cases.

Señor H said...

David- I'm a firm beleiver that after "Purple", STP should have changed their name to UFO due to people like me throwing it out my car window while driving home from Tower Records where I had just purchased it 60 seconds prior (if I'm not impressed 10 seconds per song half way through the album I get sad). Also, I'm pretty sure there was cocaine involved in 1995, leading to his arrest.

Lou- wanton debauchery?

Diga- I too was suprised that they are labled a "Grammy Award-Winning hard rock supergroup".

njeske said...

Forget Velvet Revolver. Just put Slash back in GNR and I'm happy.