Thursday, May 08, 2008

Better Days

Today is different. I have the privilege of borrowing my little brothers car (who is in Iraq) because I am doing about 150 miles of driving today, and my wife needs our only car that can leave Carson City due to the other having 280,000+ miles on it and it needs some minor repairs that we can't afford at the moment. God bless family that is willing to lend a car. My brothers Subaru has a CD player. I haven't owned a car with a CD player since I sold my Integra to barley afford a wedding.

The CD player excites me. I like music a lot.

So I am scrolling through my hundreds of CD's before I leave, looking for a few to bring along on my 150 mile journey. I only grabbed one: Robbie Seay Band - Better Days

There is something about this album that hits my soul while I drive through the trees of Lake Tahoe. My whole view on life changes. Instead of rushing to get wherever I'm going I slow down. I don't get angry at the person in front of me going the speed limit (who drives the speed limit anyway?) and I don't intentionally remind the person following me way too close of the actual speed limit (oh that's when I DO drive the speed limit).

There is something about this album that makes me want to enjoy life, love, and wonder a lot more. It reminds me why my dad rolls down the window in the morning when we car pool and it's 25 degrees outside. It's so he can smell the pine trees. It makes me want to escape the busy world and get to a small secluded lake where all I can hear is the wind in the trees and the crackling of a camp fire. Better Days reminds me that life is good; it's hard, but it's good.

Part of the 150 miles include driving to Reno and testing for a new job opportunity.

Today is different.

And I posted my first poll...I conformed.

13 comments:

Kurt Libby said...

i love that cd. i picked it up after reading "through painted deserts" by donald miller. he plugged it at the end when he said he had to drive back from oregon to texas to retrace his steps and elaborate on what was in his journal. it quickly became one of my favorite albums. i'm going to have to go put it back in my car tonight. i haven't listened to it in probably six months. hope all is good good. --k.lib

No(dot dot)el said...

that makes me smile thinking of your dad rolling down the window when it's freezing out just to smell the trees. truly that is the good stuff.
happy for you dave to enjoy anything, but especially the simple pleasure of listening to some favorite music while driving.

laura said...

it gives me great joy to see 2 non-conformists such as yourself and plucky conform:) what is your new job opportunity? good luck with it!

TimmyMac said...

Here are my two most common comments when tooling down the road . . ."Hurry up you idiot!" . . ."Look at that maniac go!"

I like your new look and your poll too . . . (snicker) I said poll . . .

laura said...

plucky, i would like to share a couple of my fave quotes while driving:
"Are you KIDDING me???"
"COME, ON!!!"

senor- were you driving a green subaru today? did you honk at my hubby on the freeway? if it wasn't you, there was some other freak in a subaru honking and waving at him today. (not that you are a freak...)

Señor H said...

Kurt - That is the only one of Millers books I haven't read. I love and own Blue Like Jazz and Searching For God Knows What. Crossword puzzles just haven't been the same since you left, you need to visit.

Noel - It makes you smile, it makes me shiver

Laura - Yep, that was me honking and waving in my lil' brudders green subaru. The new job op is with Sierra Pacific. I had just taken a test for them when I saw Jay.

Tim - I use those ones as well as Laura's road-quotes quite often. I also have to practice a lot of self control not to show the the really bad drivers whose number one.

Matty C. said...

When I drive, I get pissed at the little things. Someone could almost run me off the road and they get nothing out of me. Maybe a simple look.

You drive too slow, stare at me while driving or go when it's not your turn, then it's on.

I prefer the term "stupid-ass."

Destro Jones said...

"Don't drive angry."

Murdoc said...

Matt has been the same for years when it comes to getting pissed off. I used to piss him off as a sport but I've retired & become a bystander.

If you stare at him with a small smirk for about 45 seconds, he'll start swearing.

Señor H said...

Good movie Destro, one of my favorites!

digapigmy said...

first off, i don't think i like the album you're talking about. this is mostly because lou hooked me up with the "demo" version before the "real" album came out. not only does the studio version omit jesus savior pilot me which is a travesty, the whole thing seems over produced and you lose a lot of the musical greatness of the individual band members -- especially the bass player. i highly recommend you hit lou up for this cd - it's awesome. one of about 2 worship cd's i can actually listen to all the way through without getting irritated.

second, nothing would be sweeter than if you lived in town.

that is all.

Murdoc said...

Brint- I wouldn't consider Better Days a worship cd.

Señor H said...

Said cd is what I am talking about Brent, I don't consider the produced version the actual album at all. In my mind it doesn't even exist. I agree with you 100% about the travesty that is "producing" the real (but lame) album. And yes, especially the greatness that is Ryan Owens. He has a brilliant mind for writing really groovy bass lines.