Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hiking



A few years ago, a group of four of us decided to hike halfdome. It was a pretty brutal hike. The main memory I have of the 17 mile hike that my cousin the Age and I turned into about 18 to 19 miles (making a wrong turn down the John Muir trail for a while) was being so tired at the bottom that we had to run to just get the thing over with. It was the most exhausting day of my life. Yes I said day! As in one! We drove down to Yosimite, hiked halfdome, and drove back to Gardnerville all in one day. What a trip!

This picture is not of me, it really isn't of anyone I know at all. I actually feel really bad about this picture. When we got to the top of halfdome, we were taking pictures of each other standing over the edge. A lady came up to us and asked us if we could take a picture of her...because...she had some sort of cancer and she wasn't supposed to even walk again and she wanted to show all of her friends how she recovered from her "dabilitating cancer." It was my camera so I took the picture while she gave my dad the address of where to send the picture. When I finally got the film developed, I asked my dad for the address and sure enough, he had no idea where it was. So I keep this picture in hopes of one day coming accross some abscure address and mentaly linking the picture with said address.

New Hiking Trip

So now my dad wants to hike Mt. Whitney. The tallest peak in the continental United States. It's 22 miles, with 6,000 feet of elevation gain. It's pretty much crazy. And I will probably end up doing it. Pray for my soul.

6 comments:

laura said...

so after having a new baby in the house... would you still consider that the most exhausting day of your life? I liked your story.

Destro Jones said...

I hiked Mt. Whitney when I was 17 with my Dad and brother. While it was a memorable experience, I care not to ever do it again.

Señor H said...

Laura - Mentally, the night of January 30 was absolutly the toughest. Physically...lets just say I could still walk after Hailey was born.

Destro - I already feel the same way and I haven't even done it yet.

Destro Jones said...

You'll be starting your hike before the sun comes up and probably be down by sunset. Good times. I still recommend it though. :)

scoeyd said...

Many memorable days should never be repeated.

But, you're young. Enjoy

David said...

Hiking 22 miles ... you must really hate yourself.

Are you Irish Catholic?