Friday, January 02, 2009

So Long Suckers!

It's my last day of work here at A**state. (I put the asterisks because the wife has proven that people other than friends read blogs with certain key words) I am so excited for everything new this year. It's going to be a huge change not only for my direct family but also friends and other family.

I know it may not sound so christian, but I've never wanted to give a whole town (South Lake Tahoe) the finger so bad in my life. Now that I say that, I'll probably be working the South Tahoe shift at my new job. In which case I will be ninja-ing my way through the streets of crap town to avoid it's lovely people. There is an attitude up here that is one I've never felt from a whole town type of a mentality. It's their identity. I call it Lake Tahoe Narcissism, or Larcissism for short. About 50% of the population thinks that the universe revolves around Lake Tahoe, and the other half think that it should. All of the residents are owed something just for living in such a place.

Perfect example:

Just this morning a 70 year old lady came in with her granddaughter, bad attitude in tow. But it's my last day, I smile even bigger at those people, it tends to piss them off though. G-ma wants insurance because her license is suspended. While G-daughter sits right outside our door in the car (right next to the "No Parking" sign and about 10 feet from a real parking spot which I'm not sure why they exist up here) blocking parking lot traffic from both sides. After getting honked at a couple times by passer's she finally decides to...not park in a parking spot but drive around the block until she sees G-ma outside.

Once done, she picks G-ma up in the car we just insured, tried to turn around in our parking lot that would require driving over our once living lawn and through a snow bank half the size of the car. Hm. More gas and speed right? Wrong.

High centered, stuck, pissed, kicking and cursing car (the car we just insured) she gets out with chains in hand. First thing I do is throw my jacket on and head out the door for help right? Who wouldn't want help? This chick. I almost forgot where I was.

Me: "Can I help at all, we have a snow shovel and we can get the snow and ice out from under the car." I'm also volunteering my dad's help.

20 year old Tahoe princess: "No, I'm just going to put these ( holds up tire chains) on and it should work." Again much attitude in tow. Plus I think it's a little late for chains, the car needs to be moving for that.

Me: "You're sure you don't need any help". Jacket on and heading towards her to see the other side of the car to assess the situation.

20 year old Tahoe princess: "NO".

Me: "Okay, I'll be in here if you change your mind".

About 15-20 minutes went by of me watching her curse and kick the car we just insured, and many other people come and go from our parking lot watching 20 year old Tahoe princess try and get G-ma and car out of the snow bank. They watch her, smile, get in their car and leave. Driving right past her without a offer of help or make sure things are okay. This is by far not the first time this has happened just in our own little parking. It makes me sick. Larcissism at it's finest. Everything is about them.

I finally grab the shovel, and an ice axe (don't ask why we have an ice axe in the office) and tell her I am helping. 20 year old Tahoe princess says fine and gets back in her car with G-ma and slams the door.

Another 10 minutes go by of my dad and I trying to help, we finally we get it unstuck. No thank you or anything. Just a smile and a half wave and down the road they go, in the car we just insured.

Wet, cold, snow in my nice shoes, splashed with mud and snow from tires pealing out over ice and ex-living lawn on my face, and perplexed by Larcissism, I go back in the office with a smile on my face. I am so glad today is my last day.

Sorry for the negative complaints, but I know I'm not the only one with this experience up here. Maybe I should start a small group. Larcissism recovery.

Thank you Lord for placing me someplace new.

Earlier this morning someone came in to make a payment. "Ya, I have pneumonia and I thought I would stop and pay my bill on my way to the doctors." Thanks lady. Thanks. Your germ filled $33 is much appreciated.

7 comments:

jami said...

yay for newness

TimmyMac said...

Simply awesome on all levels . . . And never forget, no good deed goes unpunished . . .

scoeyd said...

Gotta love the Cambodian city of Phuket...

Trista said...

awesome story.. I always thought that I would want to move there.

digapigmy said...

you worked at Ass state? I've never even heard of it. But Jami is right, you definitely don't want people searching blogs for ass state anywhere near your blog.

The Author said...

What about the *V Ener*y job?

shontell said...

snort